2016 Dodge Journey vs. 2016 Mazda CX-5
Indian Head and Melville drivers who pick up a 2016 Mazda CX-5 in place of a 2016 Dodge Journey will be doing themselves a disservice. The CX-5 is a good choice, but it pales in comparison with the Journey, a vehicle which remains Canada’s favorite crossover and shows no signs of losing that accolade.
Price and Features
With a starting price of just $19,495 the 2016 Dodge Journey CVP (Canadian Value Package) lives up to both its name and the Journey’s status as the most affordable crossover in the country. In stark contrast, the 2016 Mazda CX-5 GX model starts at $22,995 – that’s $3,500 more of your hard-earned cash.
Unfortunately, the CX-5 refuses to justify its inflated starting price by matching the standard features found in the 2016 Journey, for example:
- Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Controls: Standard with the Journey CVP, only standard with the $34,895 CX-5 GT.
- Six-Speaker Sound System: Standard with the Journey CVP, only standard in the $29,245 CX-5 GS.
- 4.3-Inch Touchscreen: The Journey CVP receives a touchscreen as standard, the CX-5 won’t treat you to the same until the $29,245 CX-5 GS.
- Flip ‘n Stow In-Seat Storage: A handy hidden compartment is found beneath the cushion of the front passenger seat.
- Second-Row Storage Bins: Standard on all models, these feature a removable liner for easy cleaning and enough space for a dozen 355-ml cans with ice.
- Flip ‘n Stow Fold-Flat Front Passenger Seat: Fold all seats but the driver’s to allow longer items to be slipped inside the Journey with ease.
Crossover vehicles require neither the same level of torque as a full-sized SUV or the amount of horsepower boasted by a sports car. However, a decent output is still required if your ride is to resist sluggishness when fully loaded. The team at Dodge understand this, and the team at Mazda do not; both the Journey and the CX-5 offer two engine choices, but that’s where the similarities end.
- Standard Power: The Journey’s base 2.4L I-4 engine generates 173 horsepower and 166 lb-ft of torque. The CX-5’s base 2.0L 4-cylinder SKYACTIV-G ekes out just 155 horsepower and 150 lb-ft of torque.
- Available Power: The Journey’s 283 horsepower, 260 lb-ft of torque 3.6L Pentastar V6 blows the CX-5’s 184 horsepower, 185 lb-ft of torque 2.5L 4-cylinder SKYACTIV-G out of the water.
The 2016 Dodge Journey Utterly Outclasses the 2016 Mazda CX-5
Compared to the 2016 Dodge Journey, the 2016 Mazda CX-5 seems inflexible, underpowered, outgunned, and overvalued. When you come down to Knight Weyburn CDJR to check out the Journey, you’re looking at the leading vehicle in its class by a wide margin. For more information about the Journey or to arrange a test drive, contact us online or call 306-842-7333. We look forward to putting our Indian Head and Melville drivers behind the wheel of this powerful crossover!